Sunday 7 December 2008

R.I.P.

Although this blog only incidentally - although more so lately than otherwise - touches upon the more fictional aspects of the subject of posthumous magic, I find it appropriate to mention the recent death of Forrest J. Ackerman (1916-2008). Anyone who got interested in the cinematic vampire at some time during the period from the late 1950's to the 1980's will probably have read at least one issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland edited by 'Forry', who also liked to use various pseudonyms like 'the Ackermonster' and 'Dr. Acula'. He was particularly known for his huge collection of more or less anything related to those genres, including a certain ring!

It felt like Ackerman had more or less been there always in the world of science fiction, fantasy and horror 'fandom', as he contributed to fanzines from the early 1930's, but now we know that Dr. Acula was in fact mortal like the rest of us. R.I.P.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is sad news indeed.

Forrest Ackerman was invaluable in cultivating a sense of fandom about all things horror, fantasy and sci-fi related.

I'm sure he'll be sorely missed.

klavaza said...

My condolensces for this departure, Forry was key, with his books and magazine, for my earliest delight in horror and SciFi movies. I miss Famous Monster's hey days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...