Wednesday 3 December 2008

Shopping

I saw this book in a bookshop today: Book of the Vampire by Nigel Suckling (it almost sounds like a pseudonym chosen for the subject, but I don't think it is). It does contain some nice, original illustrations, but otherwise it looks like a rehash of the usual old stuff about Vlad, Bathory, mass murderers, Montague Summers and various folkloric vampires. According to various reviews like this one, it's probably a pleasant read and a nice introduction for those with a casual interest, but I refrained from spending 210 DKK on it (nearly € 30). I did however buy Stephenie Meyer's Twilight. After my recent brief foray into the subject of paranormal romance, I am intrigued to find out a little more about this bestseller...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might like to read this review of the book over at Taliesin Meets the Vampires.

It sounds like you saved your money wisely.

Oh, and I'm fairly sure the author wasn't using a pseudonym. In fact, here's his website (which also includes a picture of him).

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Hi

the Amatuer Vampirologist asked me to pop over and mention my thoughts on this book. All told I gave it 4 out of 10, badly referenced/inaccurate in places but a nice readable style. Full thoughts here: http://taliesinttlg.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-of-vampire-review.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...